Lean and Operational Excellence in Pharmaceuticals
The pharmaceutical sector is very different from the short cycle manufacturing environment that Lean was originally developed for (i.e. mostly batch processes with relatively long cycle times).
The significant wastes are also different and harder to reduce or eliminate and there is often significant volatility in short interval workloads. This rightly impacts how lean and operational excellence best practices are applied.
Many weaker Lean initiatives in Pharma are based almost totally on simple waste elimination and the application of easy to understand tools like 5S, Value Stream Mapping and Kaizen. While these methods will certainly yield some results we know that more significant and sustainable gains will be realized by also applying the deeper ‘Real Lean’ concepts of leveling, flow and standard work. We are experts in applying ‘Real Lean’ in Pharmaceutical environments and have developed innovative methodologies and solutions specific to the Pharmaceutical sector.
The Benefits of our approach include:
- Defined, structured and controlled processes delivering more consistent and predicable performance
- Significantly Increased productivity
- Improved RFT (Right First Time)
- Reduced lead-times / batch cycle times
- Reduced Costs
- Detailed understanding of process capacity and resourcing requirements
- Reduced levels of WIP
- Greater empowerment of personnel
- A culture of pro-active performance management and continuous improvement
- Improved customer service levels